Wondering what buzz is in Union Square? We’ve gathered all our local and national press coverage as well as our own news stories right here in one convenient place. By visiting, you’ll always be on top of the most recent Union Square news articles, events and developments without having to comb through the internet. As the retail and cultural center of San Francisco with strong ties to the city’s culinary and nightlife scenes, we’re often on the cusp of the hottest trends in the Bay Area. So, consider this your source for what’s new, hip and interesting in Union Square. We post regularly, as new stories come out.
San Francisco Announces Pedestrian Safety Strategy
December 20, 2012
Mayor Ed Lee joined the SFMTA, SFPD and the Department of Public Health on the Powell Street Promenade yesterday to discuss the upcoming Pedestrian Stragegy. Part of a plan that will be finalized early next year, the Stragegy aims to make all neighborhoods safer for pedestrians by increasing traffic enforcement and investing in projects that create more sidewalk space, like the Powell Street Promenade. By 2016, the strategy aims to reduce serious or fatal pedestrian injuries by 25 percent and by 2021 this number is targeted to fall by 50 percent.
For more infomation, read the full Press Release.
Holiday Ice Rink Returns to Union Square this November
September 13, 2012
Union Square's iconic Holiday Ice Rink kicks off its fifth season on November 7. With the rink open daily from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. throughout the season, there will be plenty of opportunity to glide across the ice with family and friends. Read the press release for full details on the rink.
Hours: Daily 10 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 31)
Regular Admission: $10
Children 8 & under: $6
Ice Skate & Hockey Skate Rentals: $5
**Advance tickets go on sale Monday, October 15 here.
Union Square BID Hires Karin Flood as New Executive Director
August 17, 2012
The Union Square Business Improvement District (BID) announces the hire of Karin Flood as Executive Director, overseeing all administrative duties, programs and services of the organization. Flood has over 18 years of experience in community relations, development, property management and marketing. Former executive director of 16 years Linda Mjellem has retired, leaving an extremely impressive track record, but Flood is looking forward to the challenges and developments ahead.
Most recently Flood was the Vice President of MJM Management Group and as such worked closely with the President/CEO and executive team on strategically planning for the company's growth and development, gaining useful expertise in property management and development. MJM Management Group is a private property and facilities management company that provides operations and programming services for public and private spaces such as Yerba Buena Gardens and the Union Square district. MJM also engages in consulting work focused on forming management districts and public spaces throughout the country. In addition, Flood led the campaign to form the Civic Center CBD and collaborated on the renewal and expansion of the current iteration of the Union Square BID. She spent two years working under Mayor Willie Brown on the Adopt-A-Street program and holds a BA in English from Georgetown University.
"Linda left some pretty big shoes to fill, but I'm up for the task. We are preparing to launch several programs, including our Union Square Cares education campaign to support people in need and a district wide Steetscapes Plan including improvements and activation of Hallidie Plaza - the gateway to our district. I am excited to bring these important programs forward to enhance the visitor experience in Union Square."
Flood began working with the Union Square BID in January, 2012 as the Interim Executive Director and after finding the position was a great fit for her expertise and management style, accepted the job long-term. She has a deep history and understanding of the area, as her family owns the Flood building at the foot of Powell and Market St. and has been involved in the community for many years.
Holiday Ice Rink Returns to Union Square this November
October 3, 2011
Union Square's well-loved Holiday Ice Rink is set to open up again on November 9th. Prices have been simplified and hours have been extended to make this the best year ever for the San Francisco tradition. Read all the details in the press release.
Hours: Daily - 10 a.m. - 11:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 31)
Regular Admission: $10
Children 8 and under: $6
Ice skate and hockey skate rentals: $5.
** Attendees can remember the occasion by using the ice rink photo booth ($2) where photos are printed on the spot and a digital version can be sent to a single email address.
Fashions Night Out SF 2011
September 1, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Jeani Hunt-Gibbon
UNION SQUARE RETAILERS DO FASHION’S NIGHT OUT SAN FRANCISCO STYLE
SAN FRANCISCO, CA August, 2011 – Union Square’s collection of renowned department stores, local boutiques and luxury retailers is celebrating Fashion’s Night Out (FNO) this Sept. 8th with a unique evening filled with celebrity guests, live music, special giveaways and many other fashion-forward surprises. Guests can experience everything from one-on-one consultations with local fashion bloggers to mini-makeovers to chatting with lauded fashion designers in-person about their new fall lines. Fashion’s Night Out began during New York Fashion Week three years ago, and has been gaining fans ever since. This September 8th San Francisco will once again be the center of activity for Fashion’s Night Out in San Francisco. All the action starts a 5 PM in Union Square and goes on all evening.
Union Square stores have planned a full line-up of stylish activities that will turn the neighborhood into a fashion wonderland. Some stores are giving the event a San Francisco twist by incorporating a tech component and inviting local fashion bloggers to speak with guests and give presentations. Many stores are extending hours, showcasing their new fall lines and offering yummy refreshments from vendors like Mission Mini’s, Chandon and Popchips. Other activities include mini-makeovers at Banana Republic, a decorate it yourself Hanky Panky panty station at Neiman Marcus, an appearance by Real Housewives Star Sonja Morgan at Macy’s and a self-serve candy bar at Fashionphile. Below is a full list of events happening in the Union Square Area. To view updates and changes to the schedule, please visit the Union Square event page: http://www.visitunionsquaresf.com/events/2011/09/08.
Fashion’s Night Out – SF
- All Saints (140 Geary St.) will have a special guest DJ set by Shane King to jump start your evening. They will also be showcasing their new fall line and offering a digital flipbook of the night’s events as well as complimentary drinks.
- Allen Edmonds (310 Sutter St.) will be hosting a new product launch of their new “Rough” and “Independence” collections and will serve wine and cheese to nibble on. The “Rough” Collection offers a new take on the classic street shoe, and the “Independence” Collection is an ultra-premium line of shoes for executives and professional men. Several other exclusive, new styles will be available for preview and pre-order, and shoppers will receive a complimentary pair of cedar shoe trees for each shoe purchase.
- Babette (361 Sutter St.) will keep doors open until 9 PM, so guests can snack and shop all evening! Babette's newest collection will be shown, while guests sip complementary wine and nosh on tasty hors d'oeuvres. All customers who visit the store that night can enter to win $300 gift certificate. To top things off, designer Babette Pinsky will be on site all evening.
- Banana Republic Flagship Store (256 Grant Ave.) will be celebrating FNO with the debut of their new Fall collections and mini makeovers. From 5pm-8pm relax with a nice glass of wine, enjoy makeovers with Body Shop’s new fall products for eyes, cheeks and lips and snag some free samples! Guests can also take advantage of their style experts, who can help advise you on fall trends, flattering fits and the perfect outfit for any occasion.
- Bottega Veneta (108 Geary St.) will stay open late and serve in-store cocktails. FNO will be the luxury Italian accessories vendor’s first celebration in their fabulous new expanded storefront as well as the launch of their first women's fragrance. Although the official U.S. launch date is September 15, Union Square has been specially selected for a preview in honor of FNO.
- Cole Haan (324 Stockton St.) is doing a shopping, sweets & sweeps event. Guests will be entered to win a new pair of Cole Haan shoes every month for an entire year. In addition, new fall arrivals will be available for purchase, including two special edition Maria Sharapova Air Bacara Ballets that are available only in select stores.
- Fashionphile (153 Maiden Ln.) is the world's largest and most trusted source for pre-owned luxury handbags. On FNO, guests can check out their assortment of high-end luxury goods and indulge in a free self-serve candy bar. Fashionistas also get a free gift if they bring a gently loved designer handbag for consignment.
- Gucci (240 Stockton St.) will be extending their hours to 8 PM. Sparkling wine and a special cocktail will be served between 6-8 PM. Guests who purchase $500 or more in merchandise will receive an official Fashion's Night Out tote during the 2-hour period.
- Macy’s Union Square (170 O’Farrell St.) has a full line-up of events with special activities on each level of their flagship store. On level 1 characters from Cirque du Soleil’s newest show Totem will be roaming around in full costume, and Sunglass Hut will have live models with the latest fall fashions on hand. On Level 2, Vince Camuto’s new line of Ready to Wear will be on display along with sips and sweets to keep guests shopping all night long. Level 3 will feature Blair Eadie from atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com, who will style an informal modeling presentation filled with her of-the-moment looks and unexpected details, then share tips and tricks on how to create fashionable head-to-toe looks. The coup de grace of the evening will be a special appearance by Sonja Morgan from Bravo TV's The Real Housewives of New York City. At 7 PM on the cellar level, she will demonstrate how to create gourmet meals in a toaster oven, followed by a signing and meet and greet.
- Marc Jacobs (125 Maiden Ln.) will be giving visitors free circus-themed tote bags with fragrance inside while supplies last. Their window display will be circus-themed as well, and they’ll be selling a special FNO clown t-shirt.
- MaxMara (175 Post St.) will showcase a special window installation to celebrate fall fashion.
- Neiman Marcus (150 Stockton St.) will provide an opportunity for guests to see the hottest fall fashion trends on models throughout the store featuring their newest collections including Victoria Beckham, Joseph Altuzarra, Tom Ford Women’s, Christopher Kane and Rachel Zoe. Unique works by Academy of Art University designers will also be on display. Stylists from Cinta Salon will be on hand for hair consultations, and there will be a Hanky Panky thong decorate it yourself station, where guests can deck out their own pair of Hanky Pankies. Refreshments from Popchips and Mission Minis will be served.
- Saks Fifth Avenue (384 Post St.) is collaborating with local fashion bloggers to create a full evening of fashion, technology and fun. From 6 to 8 PM the store will buzz with energy and activity as guests enjoy music, refreshments, makeovers and a fashion display. On the main floor a guest DJ will be spinning music and refreshments will be passed. Customers will be able to indulge in treatments and get makeovers before getting a picture taken by a professional portrait photographer. The 5th Floor will be transformed into a bloggers lounge with fashion displays created by bloggers. Several local fashion writers will be invited to participate in styling the installations. DJ Vaughn will be spinning music and guests will be encouraged to vote for their favorite fashion installation. At the end of the event, a winning blogger will receive an award.
- Spectacles (177 Maiden Ln.) carries everything from Cartier to Chanel to vintage to small European family owned frame lines. From 5:30 to 7 PM, they will be offering free single vision lenses with a frame purchase. Guests will also enjoy refreshments and classic vinyl on the Spectacles turntable.
- Thomas Pink (255 Post St.) will be serving up glasses of Chandon Rosé and offering customers a unique gift with purchase. Customers who spend $200 that evening will receive an attractive and colourful collar bone pouch.
- Ugg Australia (437 Sutter St.) will be presenting their new Fall 2011 Line, which combines high fashion and luxurious comfort. UGG Collection is handcrafted in Italy and stands as UGG Australia’s first venture into the world of high fashion footwear and handbags. The new line captures rugged beauty and exquisite comfort, combining it with premium Italian materials and styling. Also on preview during FNO, will be UGG’s new men’s collection in collaboration with New England Patriot quarterback Tom Brady. The line features a wide variety of stylish, yet comfortable men’s footwear. While perusing this new lineup, guests will listen to tunes by a live DJ, taking song requests from live tweets, enjoy an interactive photo booth, and a be refreshed with a selection of cocktails and light bites.
The Union Square Business Improvement District is made up of a vibrant and diverse 27-block community surrounding Union Square Park in San Francisco. Union Square is San Francisco’s top visitor destination and is known for its eclectic mix of world-class fashion, dining, hospitality and entertainment. The Union Square BID seeks to improve the overall quality of life for residents and visitors to the area through maintenance and public safety measures, marketing, advocacy, beautification and capital improvement programs. For more information please visit us at www.visitunionsquaresf.com or find us on Facebook or twitter.
###1 2 >