Sandwiches are a well-loved lunchtime staple, and restaurants here in The Square have kicked them up a notch and are serving up some that are truly delicious. Here are some of our favorite sandwiches in Union Square that you absolutely must try for yourself!
1. Hops & Hominy – Hops & Hominy serves up some darn good southern cuisine, and we can’t stop raving about their Fried Chicken Sandwich! This hearty sandwich is made with buttermilk brined chicken that is smothered with morita chili sauce, topped with a spicy slaw and piled on an Acme torpedo roll, trust us- it’s good!
2. 398 Brasserie – You can’t go wrong with 398 Brasserie’s Croque Madam. This spin on a classic ham sandwich has Gruyère cheese, béchamel sauce and an egg on top!
3. Café Bellini- This cute café serves up a bunch of tasty sandwiches, but their The Bellini Signature Sandwich is our absolute favorite. This mouth-watering, panini-pressed specialty has grilled Mary’s chicken breast, jack cheese, caramelized onions, tomato, arugula and pesto mayo and is served with a side of fresh mixed greens or french fries.
4. Bluestem Brasserie – One of Union Square’s best kept secrets is Bluestem Brasserie’s Chicken Sandwich. With cornmeal and buttermilk chicken, pimento cheese, applewood smoked bacon and butter lettuce, you’ll be in love at first bite. But, it’s only available at lunch on Tuesdays.
5. Farallon – Farallon’s cheesy, happy hour Dungeness Crab Melt with brioche and cheddar cheese is absolutely superb. And, it sure hits the spot after a long day!
6. The Rotunda - If you really want to spoil yourself, go all out with the Lobster Club at the Rotunda at Neiman Marcus. This incredible sandwich is loaded with lobster, applewood smoked bacon, avocado, arugula, lemon aioli, toasted brioche and it comes with a side of Yukon gold potato chips.
7. Café Madeline – Café Madeline is a great place to grab a sandwich weather you want to dine in our take out. Even though they have lots of sandwiches to choose from, it’s their Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Havarti and cheddar that has truly won us over.
8. Sutter Street Café – Sutter Street Café is a local hotspot to get a really tasty gourmet sandwich. We recommend their Southwestern Sandwich with smoked turkey, lettuce, arugula, tomato, avocado, jalapeno, cheddar, chipotle mayo and served on a soft roll. After one bite you’ll see why this is one of their most popular dishes.
9. Boudin Sourdough Cafe – Boudin’s Sourdough French Dip is one of our favorite meals. Served with thinly sliced roast beef, au jus, on a freshly made sourdough baguette, served with a side of horseradish and accompanied by a side of original potato chips or fresh mixed greens. It’s the perfect lunch on a cool San Francisco day!
10. Ike’spress – Get a beloved Ike’s Place sandwich in Union Square while you still can! This pop-up shop is serving up 15 different pre-made cold sandwiches including our favorite, the Matt Cain - with godfather sauce, provolone, roast beef, salami and turkey.