Union Square may be home to the City’s largest concentration of luxury, department and boutiques shops, but it is also a vibrant district full of historical landmarks, beautiful architecture, amazing city views and some of the City’s oldest buildings. To get a real feel of the area, here are a few of our favorite tours of The Square.
1. Avital Tours – Whether you are a local or a visitor, we know you’ll love Avital’s Union Square Cocktail Tour as much as we do! You’ll have an opportunity to meet the bartenders and industry experts, drink delicious libations and experience the true cocktail culture of San Francisco.
2. GoCar Tours – What better way to view The Square then by a GoCar? This GPS-guided storytelling car features over 200 points of interest and gives you the ability to stop and take photos, take a detour or grab a bite to eat at your leisure.
3. Emperor Norton’s Fantastic San Francisco Time Machine Tour - If you are a history buff, this is the tour for you! This 2.75 hour, 2 mile walking tour of Union Square will share fun facts and the history of the St. Francis Hotel, Maiden Lane, Lotta’s Fountain, the 1906 earthquake and fire and much more.
4. Edible Excursions – This wonderful tour lets you eat and drink your way around Union Square. Come enjoy local hotspots, learn the history of The Square, hear personal stories from chefs and get a real sense of our local culture.
5. Barbary Coast Trail – This 3.8 mile path follows 180 bronze medallions throughout the city to show you a series of historical sites. Come see the the Pony Express headquarter site , the Old Mint, the birthplace of the gold rush, the site of civil war-era rallies in Union Square and much, much more!
6. Parkwide Bike Rentals and Tours & Blazing Saddles Bike Rentals and Tours – For a more active way to tour The Square, why not rent a bike and take a self-guided or guided tour of this amazing district? With the ability to hop-on and hop-off at your leisure, you are sure to see and do everything on your Union Square check list!
7. San Francisco Ghost Walk – San Francisco is said to be among the most haunted cities in the U.S. and this summer you can experience the paranormal activity for yourself. Come see where Titanic survivor Washington Dodge haunts the basement of his old Powell St. townhouse, the “ghost lights” at the Curran Theater, the site of the infamous “Fatty Arbuckle Case” at the St. Francis Hotel and much more!
For a complete list of tours of Union Square, San Francisco, visit our Tours Page on our website here.