The holidays are a magical time, and Union Square SF is the heart of holiday fun and winter merriment in San Francisco! Here is our list of must hit activities this December in Union Square SF!
1. Winter Walk SF – Winter Walk SF, our inviting pop-up plaza in the heart of Union Square, has returned! For the next 5 weeks, now – January 1, two blocks of Stockton Street (between Geary and Ellis Streets) is open for winter fun including food trucks and local vendors, a beer and wine garden, live performances, carolers, motorized reindeer scooters, an SFSPCA kitten cuddle booth and much, much more! View a complete schedule of events here.
2. Holiday Sugar Castles at the Westin St. Francis Hotel - This year, The Westin St. Francis unveiled not just one, but two handcrafted castles created by Executive Pastry Chef Jean-François Houdré and his team. Adding a touch of modernity, the 12-feet Enchanted Castle features a rotating winter wonderland of elaborate gift boxes, gingerbread trees and even more brilliantly colored candies this year!
3. Safeway Holiday Ice Rink in Union Square presented by Alaska Airlines - What could be better than ice skating in the center of it all here in Union Square SF? The Safeway Holiday Ice Rink is a beloved holiday tradition here and the perfect way to round out a day of shopping or holiday adventures with friends. Fun for people of all ages, this magical adventure is now open through January 16, 2017.
4. Macy’s Holiday Windows - Get in on this cuteness overload with the SPCA puppies and kittens as they play in Macy’s windows this holiday season. These adoptable animals will be on display and helping to raise money for the SPCA’s vital programs throughout the holiday season!
5. Holiday Tea in The Square - Afternoon tea is a lovely holiday tradition after a long day of shopping or as a special outing. Don’t miss Tea under the Tree by Crown & Crumpet at the sir Francis Drake Hotel who will be serving up a proper English afternoon tea with tea sandwiches, scones, sweets and treats as well as a glass of bubbly to celebrate the season. Or enjoy an elegant tea outing at the Westin St. Francis complete with Mighty Leaf or Red Blossom tea, scones, seasonal berries with Devonshire-blend cream and a glass of sparkling wine.
6. The Westin St. Francis Sweet Boutique - Satisfy your sweet tooth with a selection of freshly-baked decorative cookies, orange-scented shortbread, gingerbread men, and rice crispy treats, all available for purchase every weekend now through December 18.
7. Bill Graham Menorah – Since 1975, the Bill Graham Menorah has been light each night of Hanukkah here in Union Square and this beautiful ceremony will continue once again this year. Come enjoy music, traditional Chanukah food, and of course the lighting of the 25 ft. tall Chanukah menorah!
8. A Christmas Carol at A.C.T. – This holiday classic features a beautifully costumed cast of holiday characters, entertaining musical numbers and deliciously spooky ghosts! It’s the perfect family outing this holiday season, so be sure to grab your tickets now before they sell out! Runs now through December 24.
9. Santa Claus is Coming to Town – The holidays are not complete without a trip to see “The Big Guy” himself. Get your picture with Santa at Westfield San Francisco Centre or at Macy’s Santaland now through December 24, and don’t forget to bring your wish list!
10. Santa Paws - Does your furry friend have a wish list for Santa? Bring your pet to Westfield San Francisco Centre for a special photo op with Santa on December 11!
11. Winter Nights Holiday Bazaar -The holidays are upon us, and if you are looking for unique gifts and savory holiday treats and beverages, then head to Westfield San Francisco Centre for their Winter Nights Holiday Bazaar. Now through December 31 from 4-9pm, come shop a wide variety of local, artisanal gifts, accessories, crafts and food, as well as entertainment and performances.
12. Westfield’s Tree Lighting - Join Westfield San Francisco Centre on December 2 for their first annual holiday Tree Lighting Event Under the Dome. From 5:30-7:30pm enjoy live music and performances as well as holiday treats and beverages as they officially unveil their new, spectacular, 50 ft. custom made Swarovski crystal tree installation.