It’s time to refresh our list of breakfast spots in Union Square! Whether you’re a local looking to grab a delicious pastry and a hot cup of coffee on the way to work or a visitor with some time to sit down to a leisurely brunch, we have it all. Read on for our top breakfast and brunch picks in the neighborhood.
On the Go Grub
1. Bartlett Café right next door to Bartlett Hall serves up Roast Co. coffee and dynamo donuts in the morning! It’s sure to pep you up on your way to that meeting!
2. At Caffe Central (170 O’Farrell St. & 845 Market St.) you can grab a cup of Blue Bottle Coffee, a house-made pastry (we’re partial to the Nutella twists) or a mini sandwich and fresh squeezed juice for the perfect start to a day in Union Square.
3. Also excellent for a quick bite is La Boulange (222 Sutter St.) These guys offer a très Français menu with croissants galore, breakfast sandwiches and more! Don’t forget the café au lait.
4. Café la Taza (470 Post St.) may be pint-sized, but they have some big breakfast options, including a super croissant with ham, eggs and cheese or a De la Casa scramble with feta, spinach, olives and avocado. Plus, they’re a small, locally owned chain that has been around for 15 years.
5. For a wholesome morning meal, stop by Bio (75 O’Farrell St.) and grab some steal cut oatmeal with hemp milk or house-made granola and yogurt.
The Power Breakfast
6. Klyde Café opens at 6:30 a.m. daily and offers an exceptional breakfast with a wide array of fresh twists on American classic dishes alongside Moschietti Organic Coffee. Try their Crab & fried green tomato Benedict or the almond brioche French toast. You can also grab and go from their selection of Viennoiseries with tartines, croissants and a muffin of the day.
7. Home of the famous Swedish silver dollar pancake, Sear’s Fine Foods (439 Powell St.) has been in Union Square since 1938! This wonderfully retro restaurant is dripping with old-fashioned charm and a menu of classics like a platter of 18 Swedish pancakes with jam and butter.
8. Enjoy an elegant brunch at Aveline in the Warwick Hotel. We recommend a simple yet meticulously created French omelet with chives, european butter and foraged mushrooms.
9. A true SF classic The Oak Room Restaurant at the Westin St. Francis (335 Powell St.), go here for a grand brunch with seasonal dishes like their bay shrimp omelet or pumpkin bread French toast.
10. Scala’s Bistro (432 Powell St.) offers an Italian take on a traditional brunch. There, you can enjoy polenta with eggs, tomato sauces and parmesan or Eggs Al Forno with salami, swiss chard and mozzarella.