Sometimes a good dinner spot is hard to find, but not here in Union Square, San Francisco! Home to some of the best restaurants in the City; from gourmet Michelin Star eateries to cozy corner bistros and cuisine ranging from Japanese to Mexican, and American to Italian, you’ll have no problem finding the perfect place to satisfy your cravings. Although we have countless places to choose from, here are some of our favorite dining destinations here in The Square.
1. Gaspar Brasserie – This French bistro is a complete experience. From their modern mid-20th century decor to their large selection of classic French dishes including duck leg confit, lobster bisque en croute and their Parisian-inspired cocktails, you’re in for a real treat when you dine at Gaspar Brasserie.
2. Hogwash – This gastropub serves up their own house made sausage and has over 30 beers on tap. Need we say more? And, if you are looking for a killer sandwich, we recommend their sheepish sandwich and their all day sandwich with a side of curry fries.
3. Burger Bar – When you are craving a burger, fries, and a beer, we can’t think of a better spot. With spectacular views of Union Square Park and the best milkshakes (classic and alcoholic) in the City, this is one place you have to come try. Go big with the Rossini burger including Wagyu beef, foie gras and shaved truffles.
4. Hops & Hominy – If you like Southern food and beer, this is the spot for you. You’ll enjoy a high-end experience while noshing on comfort foods like cast iron mac & cheese, pulled pork, and of course, the best fried chicken you’ll ever have.
5. Morton’s The Steakhouse – If you are looking for the best steak in San Francisco, you’ve found the right place. Their USDA prime-aged beef is always cooked to perfection and served in generous portions. If you are looking for something a little lighter, try their thick Chilean sea bass or their colossal shrimp. Take advantage of their late night Happy Hour including discounted bar bites from 9-11pm, Monday – Friday.
6. Sears Fine Food – No trip to Union Square is complete without dinner at this local fave. Since 1938, Sears Fine Food has been serving up some of the best beer battered fish and chips, slow roasted prime rib, and Dungeness crab chowder in the state. And yes, they still have their famous blue plate special 7 days a week.
7. Kin Khao – Kin Khao is the hottest Thai restaurant in town, serving authentic Thai dishes like Yaowaraj Noodles and Khao Soi, alongside well-balanced cocktails anda great wine list. Believe us when we say, Chef Pim knows how to pack a lot of flavor into a small venue!
8. Colibri Mexican Bistro – This rustic Mexican bistro puts a lot of love in their food and serves some of the best tacos, guacamole, and ceviche in The Square. With an extensive Tequila and Mezcal menu, your meal will be perfectly paired with a handcrafted cocktail.
9. Scala’s Bistro – This Italian bistro serves up classic French and Italian favorites with a modern twist. With more than 60 thoughtfully selected bottles of local wine, and a desert menu that is worth a trip to Union Square alone, we know you’ll enjoy dinner at Scala’s Bistro.
10. Aveline – Sit back and be wowed by the unusual dishes on Aveline’s menu. From Avocado Toast to Garlic Tiger Prawns Croquette, the California ingredients paired with European technique are truly superb, and they have one of the most impressive wine displays around.