Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but lunch comes in at a close second! Home to some of the best restaurants in the City. From gourmet Michelin Star eateries to cozy corner bistros and cuisine ranging from Japanese to Mexican, and American to Italian, you’ll have no problem finding the perfect place to grab a quick bite to go or to sit down and enjoy a meal with friends in Union Square.
1. Lunch on the Lane – Every Friday from 11am -3pm, the Union Square BID hosts Lunch on the Lane on the corner of Maiden Lane and Stockton St. here is Union Square SF. It’s free and open to the public and features local food vendors including Country Grill and Rill’s Chimney Cake as well as live entertainment and more!
2. Hogwash – The Abe Froman at Hogwash is one of our favorite lunches period. Made with beef, cheddar and bacon sausage, Thousand Island dressing, chopped romaine, tomatoes and pickles on a freshly baked roll and paired with one of their 30+ beers on tap, how could lunch get any better?
3. Tratto - If you love pizza, Tratto is one of our favorite spots to grab a slice here in The Square. We recommend their famous tomato, mozzarella and basil pizza. Plus, it is big enough to share!
4. Morton’s The Steakhouse – Morton’s The Steakhouse is famous in Union Square for their steaks and seafood, however unknown to many, Morton’s actually exists today because of their hamburgers! Morton’s Prime burger is a generous beef patty topped with sautéed mushrooms, secret sauce, onion, lettuce and tomato and served with some of the best french-fries in San Francisco. Trust us, it’s one filling lunch!
5. Halal Guys – If you’re looking for a quick and tasty meal, you can’t go wrong with a sandwich or platter from the Halal Guys. With your choice of chicken, gyro or falafel, a wide variety of toppings and their famous white and hot sauces, you are sure to stay energized for the rest of your day.
6. Rambler – Tickle your taste buds by grabbing lunch at the Rambler! We recommend their bacon wrapped chicken thigh or their pork Pozole with guajillo chilies, escabeche vegetables, savoy cabbage, and crispy tortillas.
7. Bartlett Hall – We love the fried chicken po’ boy at Bartlett Hall. Made with southern fried chicken thighs, jalapeno and cabbage slaw, melted provolone, mamas little peppers and garlic chive aioli, you’ll truly spoil yourself with an amazing lunch!
8. Taste on Ellis - The Taste on Ellis is a perfect spot to enjoy lunch with friends. With a shared dining concept inspired by California and Hawaiian cuisine, you’ll have a fun time trying several of their small plate menu items.
9. E&O Kitchen and Bar – If you’re craving something packed with flavor, then you’ll want to head to E&O for their traditional Pad Thai, or their Japanese “Bop” made with crispy dashi, a sunny side egg, spinach, pickles, red chili furikake, bonito flakes and umeboshi plum.
10. Sears Fine Food – No trip to Union Square is complete without a meal at this local fave. Since 1938, Sears Fine Food has been serving up some of the best beer battered fish and chips, slow roasted prime rib, and Dungeness crab chowder in the state. And yes, they still have their famous blue plate special 7 days a week.