Food allergies are quite common today, which can make going out and enjoying a nice meal quite complicated, especially when you’re traveling. Thankfully, Union Square is home to many allergy friendly restaurants with entire menus dedicated to gluten free, vegetarian and even vegan options. Here are some of our favorite allergy friendly spots here in The Square.
1. Bartlett Hall at 242 O'Farrell St. - The Buffalo Cauliflower at Bartlett Hall is probably the best thing we have had all summer. Made with tempura cauliflower and tossed in buffalo hot sauce, they taste like you are enjoying an actual buffalo wing, except these are vegan!
2. Sushi Boat at 389 Geary St. - If you are looking for great sushi here in The Square, then look no further then Sushi Boat. Many of their specialty rolls are gluten, dairy and egg free, but our favorites are their sashimi and their nigari combos with tuna, salmon, abalone, Hamachi and shrimp. And, don’t forget to order a cup of their wonderful miso soup!
3. Hops & Hominy at 1 Tillman Pl. - Hops & Hominy’s Fried Chicken is a gluten free delight! This buttermilk brined chicken is battered with a seasoned rice flour mixture and served with collard greens and mashed potatoes and is truly Southern comfort food at its very best.
4. 398 Brasserie at 398 Geary St. - 398 Brasserie has something for everyone! We love their Pan Seared Trout, it’s healthy, light, and doesn’t contain gluten, dairy, or eggs.
5. Farallon at 450 Post St. - We know you’ll absolutely love Farallon’s Mezcal Ceviche with avocado and a spiced tostada. This fresh, summery dish has a bit of crunch and a lot of flavor, perfect for those who can’t have eggs or dairy!
6. Bio Café at 75 OFarrell St. - Whether you’re in the mood for something sweet or savory and are gluten free, vegetarian or vegan, Bio Café has just what you need to satisfy your craving! For lunch we love to get a cup of soup and sandwich on gluten free and vegan bread!
7. First Crush Restaurant and Wine Bar at 101 Cyril Magnin St. - First Crush’s Stuffed Portobello Mushroom with organic quinoa, green lentils, red pepper hummus, zucchini, roasted peppers, peeled toybox tomato, curry oil and balsamic syrup is one of our favorite gluten-free and vegan dishes in The Square. And, it’s one of our favorite spots to grab a gluten free and vegan dessert!
8. E & O Kitchen and Bar at 314 Sutter St. - E & O has an extensive gluten free menu with items ranging from meat to seafood, and rice to noodles, but we personally cannot stop raving about their Pad Thai! Made with gulf white prawns, tofu, eggs, bean sprouts, preserved radishes, peanuts, roasted chilies and lime, it’s absolutely delicious. And you can request it without egg.
9. Puccini & Pinetti at 129 Ellis St. - Puccini & Pinetti serves up some delicious gluten free pastas and pizzas, and many of which can also be made without eggs or diary. Our favorite is their Margherita Pizza with pomodoro, fresh mozzarella, basil, chili flakes on gluten free crust.
10. Colibri Mexican Bistro at 438 Geary St. - If you love Mexican food as much as we do and you are dairy, egg and gluten free, then you have to try Colibri Mexican Bistro! Their tacos are amazing especially when paired with their freshly made guacamole and a house margarita!