It’s time to refresh our list of favorite breakfast spots in Union Square! Whether you’re a local looking to grab a delicious pastry and a hot cup of coffee before a long work day or a visitor who has time to sit down to a leisurely meal, we have it all. Read on to see who made our top 10 breakfast picks in the neighborhood.
1. 398 Brasserie (398 Geary St.) – This rustically charming eatery knows how to please your taste buds! People can’t get enough of their Huevos Rancheros with fried eggs, Cotija, black beans, pico de gallo, sour cream, and avocado on a flour tortilla, and their almond French toast with seasonal fruit and whipped cream. And we know you’ll never have anything like their green eggs and ham with green chili grits and tomatillo salsa, which is our personal favorite.
2. Aveline in the Warwick Hotel (490 Geary St.) - This chic spot is perfect for meeting up friends and enjoying a morning meal together. We know you’ll love their house granola with figs, mixed berries, almond butter, honey and Greek yogurt, ortheir smoked salmon benedict with poached eggs, spinach, red onions and hollandaise.
3. Bartlett Hall’s Brewroom and Café (272 O’Farrell St.) – Located right next door to Bartlett Hall, this café serves up Four Barrel coffee and Firebrand artisan pastries every weekday morning! Short on time in the morning? No worries, these guys have got your breakfast needs covered!
4. BDK Restaurant and Bar (501 Geary St.) – We love to haunt this modern pub in the mornings for their bacon, egg and cheese croissant, and their smoked salmon bagel with cream cheese, capers, onion and tomatoes, and we know you will too!
5. Caffe Central (170 O’Farrell St. & 845 Market St.) – This is where locals go to get their Blue Bottle Coffee fix. While you’re there, grab one of their many house-made pastries (we’re partial to the Nutella twists) or a mini sandwich and fresh squeezed juice for the perfect start to your day.
6. Café la Taza (470 Post St.) – This may be a pint-sized locally owned café, but they have some big breakfast options. Our favorites include their Valencia egg scramble with homemade chorizo, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jack cheese, and their Sausalito egg scramble with smoked chicken mango jalapeno sausage, balsamic onions, sweet peppers, sage and provolone cheese.
7. The Turn Café at the Axiom Hotel (28 Cyril Magnin St.) – Designed for those on the go, this is a great place to grab a yogurt parfait or if you have a few extra minutes, a tasty Union Square omelet with sautéed spinach, mushrooms, caramelized onions, tomatoes and feta, or a Belgian waffle with powdered sugar and strawberries-yum!
8. Sear’s Fine Foods (439 Powell St.) – This Union Square classic has been serving up their famous Swedish silver dollar pancakes, with warm syrup and whipped butter, since 1938! You can also order other diner classics like New York steak and eggs, eggs benedict or an omelet with all the fixings.
9. Bio (75 O’Farrell St.) – If you’re opting for an inexpensive and healthy morning meal, you’ve got to stop by Bio. We recommend their steal cut oatmeal with hemp milk and quinoa, or their homemade yogurt with seasonal berries.
10. Scala’s Bistro (432 Powell St.) –This classic Italian bistro pulls out all the stops for breakfast. Try Scala’s corned beef hash with potatoes, cheddar cheese, spring onions, gypsy peppers and poached eggs, or their polenta with sunny side up eggs, braised pork belly, Espelette-tomato sauce and black trumpets.