There are a million reasons why we love Union Square during the summer, but if we absolutely had to choose, we would go with these top ten.
1. The Visitors –That’s you! Union Square really comes to life during the summer with people from all around the country and the world. We love hearing five different languages on one block of Powell St.
2. It’s not too Hot – You may have heard about SF’s famously cool summers – it’s true, it really doesn’t get that hot, and we like it that way!
3. Film Night in the Park- We can’t think of a better way to spend our evenings than watching a movie on a giant outdoor screen in the middle of Union Square Park, and the best part about it is its free!
4. Flowers in Bloom- We think Union Square Park is beautiful all year long, but when the flowers are in bloom and the cherry blossoms are at their best, it’s particularly breathtaking.
5. Swing, Tango & Salsa in the Square- The summer dance and concert series hosted by Union Square Live geos from May – September. You can’t beat free dance lessons and live music under the stars in the heart of Union Square!
6. Art in the Park- If you enjoy art as much as we do, then you don’t want to miss the regular Art Shows in Union Square Park that run from May – August.
7. Concerts Galore- Whether you like jazz, blues, country or rock 'n' roll, Grammy-winning and world renowned artists come to Union Square to perform live just for us! Some of our favorite spots to catch live entertainment include Biscuits & Blues, Feinstein’s at the Nikko, and Society Cabaret.
10. Al Fresco Dining – We have some excellent spots for dining in the open air, including Bancarella (right on the Square), Café de la Presse and The Irish Bank. Plus, you can always get your lunch to go and eat on the steps in the Square. We heart impromptu picnics!