Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so luckily for us, Union Square is home to some of the best breakfast spots in the City. From grab ‘n’ go cafés to classic 24-hour diners, here are our top 10 breakfast spots in The Square.
1. Sear’s Fine Foods (439 Powell St.) – This Union Square classic has been serving up their world famous 18 Swedish Pancakes, with warm syrup and country fresh whipped butter, since 1938! Trust us, you don’t want to leave Union Square without trying them yourself!
2. Café la Taza (470 Post St.) – This may be a pint-sized locally owned café, but they have some big breakfast options. Our favorite is their Valencia Egg Scramble with homemade chorizo, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jack cheese.
3. Scala’s Bistro (432 Powell St.) –This Italian bistro pulls out all the stops for breakfast! You’re in for a real treat with Scala’s Corned Beef Hash served with potatoes, red onion, Calabrian chilies and poached eggs.
4. The Turn Café at the Axiom Hotel (28 Cyril Magnin St.) – Designed for those on the go, this is a great place to grab a yogurt parfait and a cup of coffee. Or, if you have a few extra minutes, a tasty CEO Plate with egg whites, smoked salmon, capers, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocado will surely hit the spot!
5. Lori’s Diner (500 Sutter St.) – What better way to start your day then with a classic breakfast at a classic San Francisco diner! We love their Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs and their USDA Choice New York Steak and Eggs.
6. Honey Honey Café & Crepery (599 Post St.) – This charming café is known for their exceptional crepes! We can’t get enough of their Half Moon Bay Crepes with cheddar, tomato, mushrooms, and crab cake. If you’re in the mood for some spice, we recommend their Miami Heat Crepes with cheddar, avocado, chicken breast, scallions and spicy hot sauce!
7. The Pinecrest Diner (401 Geary St.) – The Pinecrest Diner was founded in 1969 and is the oldest standing, 24-hour diner in Union Square. You’ll enjoy a wide variety of hardy, American-style meals like Bill’s Special with two eggs, two sausages, two pieces of bacon and a choice of two pancakes or French toast with cinnamon and powdered sugar. Trust us, you’ll be full until dinnertime!
8. Café Bellini (235 Powell St.) –Inspired by the grand coffeehouses in Florence and Vienna, café Bellini offers healthy and hearty breakfast options including our favorite, Eggs Benedict served with two toasted English muffins topped with Canadian bacon, poached eggs and fresh hollandaise sauce.
9. Roxanne’s Café (570 Powell St.) -This beautiful, small corner café is a local hotspot, especially for breakfast. You can’t beat a glass of their fresh orange juice and their American Breakfast Sandwich filled with scrambled eggs, your choice of bacon, ham or sausage and cheddar cheese on croissant.
10. Caffé Central (170 O’Farrell St. & 845 Market St.) – Caffé Central is the perfect spot to grab a delicious breakfast on the go. We recommend a cup of their individually prepared, pour-over coffee and a one of their many house-made pastries like their ever so popular Nutella twist!