The holidays are here, and Union Square is the heart of holiday fun in San Francisco! Here is our list of must hit activities in San Francisco's Union Square this December:
1. Winter Walk SF – Come on down to Winter Walk SF, our holiday pop-up plaza on Stockton St. between Geary and Ellis. Not only do we have Off the Grid Food trucks every other day and Philz coffee every day, but we’ve got an exciting 3D light art projection every evening on Macy’s Men’s! We also have weekly performances, including the fabulous Velocity Circus, the Dickens Fair Carolers and other surprises. Details.
2. Enchanted Sugar Castle at the Westin St. Francis & the St. Francis Sweet Shoppe – Elves of all ages will enjoy seeing the Westin’s enchanted sugar castle, featuring painstakingly handcrafted sugar figures of ornaments, trees, elves and other whimsical scenes. If that gets your sweet tooth going, be sure to stop by their Sweet Shoppe, filled with tasty holiday treats, open every weekend through December.
3. A Christmas Carol at A.C.T. – This holiday classic features a beautifully costumed cast of holiday characters, entertaining musical numbers and deliciously spooky ghosts! It’s the perfect family outing this holiday season, so be sure to grab your tickets now before they sell out! Details.
4. Stage Kiss at SF Playhouse - SF Playhouse's holiday tradition is to put on a wintry, feel good play that isn't necessarily in the usual holiday cannon. Stage Kiss is no exception, a comedic romp centered on crossing the lines between stage and real life romance. Both hilarious and at times poignant, it makes for a delightful winter night on the town.
5. Holiday Ice Rink - What could be better than ice skating in the center of it all here in Union Square SF? The Safeway Holiday Ice Rink is a beloved tradition here and the perfect way to round out a day of shopping or holiday adventures with friends.
6. Macy’s Holiday Windows - Get in on this cute overload with the SPCA puppies and kittens as they enjoy a day in the Macy’s windows. These adoptable animals will be on display and helping to raise money for the SPCA’s vital programs throughout the holiday season!
7. Tea under the Tree - There’s just something so festive about a formal tea with family and friends during the holidays! Stop by the Sir Francis Drake hotel for Tea Under The Tree, complete with a roaring fire and a 27-foot Christmas tree! This year they’ve partnered with Crown & Crumpet to bring you a proper English tea service.
8. Bill Graham Menorah - The community will continue the beautiful ceremony of lighting the menorah and celebrating Chanukah in Union Square! This year marks the menorah’s 40th anniversary.
9. Nutcracker Under the Dome – Westfield SF Centre has once again partnered with the SF Ballet for a magical holiday spectacular projected on their beautiful historic dome, featuring scenes from the beloved holiday ballet. It runs every half hour from 5 pm to closing. Details.
10. Santa Claus – The holidays are not complete without a trip to see The Big Guy himself. Get your picture with Santa at Westfield SF Centre or Macy's Santland and don’t forget to bring your wish list!